Frequently Asked Questions.

The Kenya Veterinary Board (KVB) is a state agency whose main mandate is to supervise veterinary
training, business, practices and employment of veterinary surgeons and veterinary paraprofessionals.

  1. Advise the Government on matters relating to veterinary training, research, practice and employment; use of veterinary medicines, poisons and pesticides; and other issues relating to animal welfare;
  2. Prescribe courses of training for veterinary surgeons and veterinary paraprofessionals;
  3. Approve institutions for training of veterinary surgeons and various categories of veterinary paraprofessionals;
  4. Consider and approve the qualifications of various categories of veterinary para-professionals for the purposes of registration ;
  5. Register, license, control and regulate veterinary practice, veterinary laboratories, clinics ; animal hospitals and animal welfare institutions ;
  6.  Formulate and publish a code of ethics for all registered persons;
  7. Ensure maintenance and improvement of standards of practice by the registered persons;
  8. Assess human resource and necessary training programs to guarantee sound and efficient veterinary
    service delivery and advise the relevant Ministries accordingly;
  9. Create an inspectorate to work in collaboration with law enforcement agencies to locate, inspect, and close down premises or ambulatory clinics operated contrary to the practices prescribed in the Act, and take legal action against the offenders; and
  10. Regulate the use of technology for purposes of animal breeding

The Board approves animal health training institutions. Currently the University of Nairobi, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery at Egerton University are the only institutions approved by the Board to train veterinary surgeons in Kenya.


The following courses are offered for veterinary para-professionals:

  • BSc in animal health and production
  • Degree in animal health
  • Diploma in animal
  • Certificate in animal health
  • Certificate and diploma in animal health and production and
  • Certificate in animal health and range management

In addition to the above courses one can also be registered as a para professional by undertaking a one year upgrading certificate in animal health.

You can also upgrade from a certificate to diploma in animal health and production.

The list of institutions approved by the Board to offer the above courses is available (here). This list is regularly updated regularly upon inspection and compliance with the set training standards.

The charges vary according to the procedure, professional fee and transport costs incurred. It is however within your right to ask how much you will be charged before engaging the animal health provider.

A client can report a complaint against any animal health professional or staff for any action deemed inappropriate in the course of veterinary service delivery. The client can write a letter or an email to the Chief Executive Officer, Kenya Veterinary Board, make a phone call or pay a visit to the Board offices and orally report the complaint.
The complaint must be given in details to enable the Board decide on a corrective measure. All reports will be treated with confidentiality. This email is dedicated to complaints and can be used to report complain@kenyavetboard.or.ke

The Board issues cards annually to veterinary surgeons and veterinary para-professionals who are registered and retained as per the requirements of law. The cards will help you know whether you are dealing with a registered animal health professional or not. The cards have different colors according to the professional category of the holder (see table below). The card contains the photo, qualifications,
National ID number, KVB number and year within which it is valid.

You can check whether a person is an authorized veterinary surgeon or a veterinary paraprofessional.

Currently, you must physically present original and copies of your certificates for certification (National ID,KCSE certificate and Professional certificate),Evidence of completion of the prescribed veterinary internship, passport size photo, evidence of membership in a KVB recognized professional association and filled application forms Form 1 for Veterinary Surgeon and Form 3 for veterinary paraprofessionals and relevant oaths)). Go to Registration Page

No, only an original KCSE certificate is used for registration.

The Board registers Kenyan who have studied veterinary medicine or any other animal health course in foreign countries provided they comply with the set guidelines. (Link to registration page)

The Board offers temporary registration to foreign veterinary surgeons on condition that they meet the minimum requirements and apply via the prescribed application procedure Section 16 of the VSVP Act, 2011.  (Link to registration page

This is a one year on job training for the Veterinary surgeon or veterinary paraprofessional graduate to consolidate his/her knowledge skills and attitude to achieve day one competence in veterinary practice. It is done as a requirement for registration. A registered paraprofessional VSVP Act, 2011 (section 15 (1)(b) and section 17(1)(b)(i) (ii)   and   Guidelines for veterinary internships. (Link to Internship process brief)

Yes, if you graduated before 2016. If you are already registered and you are upgrading within the paraprofessional cadre. However, when upgrading from a paraprofessional to a veterinary surgeon then internship will be a requirement.