Who Can Register?
- A person qualified as a Veterinary Surgeon.
- A person qualified as a Veterinary Para-Professional.
A person shall be qualified to be registered as a veterinary surgeon if he/she:-
a) is a citizen of Kenya
b) holds a degree in veterinary medicine from a university recognized in Kenya, and has after such qualification served an internship of not less than twelve months under a veterinary surgeon with not less than five years’ standing; and
c) is a member of a registered professional association representing the interests of veterinary surgeons.
The VSVP Act 2011 also allows for temporary registration of foreign Veterinary Surgeons under restrictions.
A person shall be qualified for registration as a veterinary para-professional if the person—
(a) is a citizen of Kenya, and
(b) has either—
(i) has successfully completed a post-secondary school training course in animal health science lasting two years or more at an institution approved by the Board and has obtained a certificate,diploma or degree, and has thereafter served an internship of not less than twelve months under the supervision of a registered veterinary surgeon; or
(ii) is qualified in animal husbandry,range management or wildlife health and has undergone a course of not less than one year in animal health prescribed by the Board, and has served an internship of not less than twelve months under the supervision of a registered veterinary surgeon, and
(c) is a member of a registered association representing the interests of veterinary para-professionals
- The Board may in its discretion require an applicant under this section to undertake such examination as it may prescribe to satisfy itself that the applicant’s knowledge and skill qualify such person for registration.
- The examination referred to above may be conducted by the Board or by any other authority or institution appointed by the Board, and such examination shall be conducted subject to such terms and conditions as the Board may determine.
- A person seeking registration shall apply to the Board within a period of five years after qualification, and any person applying after the expiry of that period shall be subject to the provisions of point 3.
- A person registered by the Board shall swear or affirm the oath set out in the veterinary surgeons and veterinary paraprofessionals act 2011 (VSVP Act 2011), and shall be entitled to have his name entered in the register maintained by the Registrar for that purpose.
- Every registered person shall be issued with a certificate of registration in the prescribed form which shall be signed by the Registrar.
- Any person who practises veterinary medicine or surgery without having been registered by The Board commits an offence and shall be liable, on conviction, to a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand shillings or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months, or to both.