Composition of The Board
The Board shall consist of:-
- The Principal Secretary in the Ministry responsible for matters relating to livestock;
- The Principal Secretary in the Ministry responsible for finance;
- The Director of Veterinary Services, who shall be a registered veterinary surgeon under this Act;
- A Dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of a public university in Kenya, being a registered veterinary surgeon, or a member of the faculty, who is a registered veterinary surgeon, nominated by him;
- One veterinary surgeon who is a principal of a veterinary para-professional training institute appointed by the Cabinet Secretary;
- Four registered veterinary surgeons elected by registered veterinary surgeons and appointed by the Cabinet Secretary;
- Three veterinary para-professionals appointed by the Cabinet Secretary after being elected by registered veterinary para-professionals;
- The chairperson of the Kenya Veterinary Association;
- One person appointed by the Cabinet Secretary to represent veterinary research institutions;
- One veterinary surgeon or veterinary paraprofessional nominated by the Director of the Kenya Wildlife Service and appointed by the Cabinet Secretary to represent the Wildlife sector;
- Two persons, not being veterinary surgeons or veterinary para-professionals, appointed by the Cabinet Secretary from the animal resource industry.
The members referred to in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 may, in writing, depute suitable persons to represent them at the meetings of the Board.
No person shall be appointed to serve as a member of the Board if such person—
- Is not permanently resident in Kenya;
- Is not a citizen of Kenya; or
- Has at any time been convicted of an offence and sentenced to imprisonment for a period of six months or more without the option of a fine.
The chief executive officer appointed under section 12 shall be secretary to the Board.
The first meeting of the Board shall be convened by the Cabinet Secretary, and the members shall at that meeting elect a chairperson and vice-chairperson from amongst their number.